USN Commissioned Officers Club Mess
7th Fleet Officers Club/Returned Limbless Sailors and Soldiers Association
- Brisbane City
42 Oxlade Drive, New Farm 4006
At its peak the US Navy had almost 6500 personnel stationed in Brisbane during 1944.
Of these 685 were commissioned officers.
Brisbane offered few entertainment venues for visiting or stationed officers, and a decision was made by the Commander Service Force, Seventh Fleet to construct an Officers Mess.
Through the Australian Army Hiring Service, the USN acquired vacant riverside land from the Brisbane City Council, taking possession on 4 November 1943. Due to its low-lying nature the land could not be built on and a considerable amount of fill was placed by the riverside to enable a graded building pad. Two 40′ x 100′ Stran Steel buildings were erected on the site, and joined by a timber-frame foyer.
The Mess was staffed by three US Navy personnel and 17 civilians. Facilities included two 35mm film projectors and a projection booth. The site was tastefully landscaped and quickly became a wartime Brisbane showplace. The US Navy ceased activities at the property on 23 June 1945.
USN Bureau of Yards & Docks Section, Defense Aid - Reciprocal and Review Board Report - General, US Naval Base, Navy 134, Brisbane, (1946).
BCC Heritage Unit citation