Redbank Camp Ammunition Magazine
- Ammunition facility
31 Smith Street, Redbank 4301
Low brick structure, partially sunk into the surrounding earth within the paddocks between Smith and Monash Streets. Approximately 7.5m long and 5m wide, the magazine was utilised by the wider Redbank military camp during the Second World War.
During World War II a large army camp was established at Redbank. The first contingent of 400 men marched into the camp on 21 October 1939, with the initial quota of 2,500 men being reached soon afterwards. The camp gradually developed into a small township with huts, hospitals, a post office, bank, water supply and sewerage lines established. At the height of the war up to 6,000 troops were based at Redbank.