Sellheim Military Camp

Military camp
North and Cape York

Flinders Highway, Sellheim 4816

Situated approximatley 17 km east of Charters Towers, the Sellheim Military Camp was one of the largest stationary transit camps in Queensland. Home to many young Australians making there way to or from the fighting in New Guinea, the camp was established by the arrival of the Australian 26th Battalion (Logan and Albert Regiment) in June 1941, under the command of the Australian Army’s most highly decorated soldier, Lieutenant-Colonel Harry Murray VC.


Located on the banks of the Burdekin River, Sellheim establised itself as a major centre for training and possessed its own rifle range, which was located to the north-east at the junction of the Burdekin and Fanning Rivers. It straddled the main Flinders Highway, with the main gate and guard house located oppoiste the Sellheim Rail Station. To acknowledge the existence of the camp, a large memorial was erected on the site of the guard house in 1982.

The larger camp consisted of numerous satelite camps on the northern side of the highway. It contained mess and kitchen facilities, recreation facilities including YMCA and Salvation Army recreation halls, post offices, main camp headquarters, medical facilities and workshops.

The camp contained many Sidney Williams and other style huts for use, but the majority of the troops camped under canvass in tented cities.

Due to the proximity of the rail line and the ease of access to Charters Towers or Townsville to the east, Sellheim was ideally situated.

This site is a significant WWII location and the website would appreciate contributions. If you have any further information or images of Sellheim, please contact us at


National Archives of Australia

State Library of Queensland.