St Patrick’s Catholic Church Bell Tower and Bell
cnr Nelson and Allen Streets, South Townsville 4810
Captain Walter J Stillwaggon ( US Navy) was stationed in Townsville during 1942–1943. When attending Mass at St Patrick’s Catholic Church in South Townsville, he noticed the church did not have a bell.
Captain Stillwaggon promised the parish that he and his men would donate a bell to St Patrick’s when they returned to the US. In 1946, they shipped the bell to Australia.
The bell tower was erected by the St Patrick’s community. It was restored in 1999 by the Townsville City Council.
Information provided by St Patrick’s Catholic Church, South Townsville.
Ray Holyoak (contributing author).