U.S. Army 156th Station Hospital and 102 Aust General Hospital
- Medical facility
- Brisbane City
cnr Toohey Road and Sexton Street, Tarragindi 4121
Ekibin Hospital appears to have provided supplementary beds for the Holland Park hospital but also had specific wards for treating US service personnel suffering from psychological issues. The Ekibin Hospital was designed by the Office of the Base Engineer, Base Section 3, USASOS. Its construction was of a slightly lower priority than the first section of the Holland Park hospital, though some construction work was concurrent.
Local contractor RM Hornibrook was responsible for erecting the main buildings of the US Army Hospital at Ekibin during mid-1943. By the end of 1944 there were approximately 90 structures on the site including two large 'Psychopathic' wards and 24 other wards of various configurations. The hospital had capacity for 1250 patients. Officers, nurses and ward staff were also housed on-site with all the necessary related facilities including a theatre and sporting grounds.
The 155th Station Hospital moved from Camp Cable on 28 January 1944, to occupy the Ekibin hospital. A Station report described the hospital as a “salubrious atmosphere conducive to rapid recovery of patients. Drainage was excellent, the presence of a constant light breeze, coupled with the absence of objectionable smoke stacks or other installations in the area, provided a pleasant setting.” Patients were transferred to the hospital from the 42nd and 105th General Hospitals for care before they were transferred back to the United States.
The 102 Australian General Hospital (102 AGH) occupied the Ekibin Hospital site after it was vacated by the US Army, though that may have been a temporary arrangement. The 102 AGH reportedly moved to Holland Park from Ekibin, and there is some indication that the Royal Navy may have occupied Ekibin for a period.
Nurses from the Australian Army Nursing Service were at Ekibin from February 1945. American troops transferred from Holland Park back to Ekibin Hospital in October 1945, and a number of Queensland war-brides with their babies were quartered there as they awaited transport to the United States. Immediately after the war part of the sit was allocated as a compound for displaced persons operated by the Queensland Housing Commission. The former Ekibin Hospital was demolished around 1955-56.
NAA: Series BP262/2 9127 PART 2 Allied Works Council Queensland - Annual Report of work done by AWC Qld to 30 June 1943 barcode 438604.