Camp Columbia (United States Army 1943-44)
US 6th Army Headquarters/42 US General Hospital/28th Surgical Hospital/91st Station Hospital/13th Medical General Dispensary/99th Signal Battalion and 3rd USAFIA and Officer’s Candidate School
- Military camp
- Greater Brisbane
907 Boundary Road, Wacol 4077
Camp Columbia was a US camp based in Wacol from October 1942 until July 1944. Following the US 6th Army departure to Hollandia, New Guinea, the site was taken over by the Netherlands East Indies Government-in-Exile and facilitated the encampment of Dutch troops.
The camp straddled the current Ipswich Road and was extensive, being divided into multiple areas. The camp site held a general hospital, other medical faciklities and Officer Candidate’s School, which existed between 1942 and 1945. After the war, the site was taken over by the Australian Army and used well into the latter part of the 20th century.
National Archives of Australia.
Brisbane City Council.