Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Brisbane Medical Unit
British Medical Union, 'Austral House'
- Brisbane City
31 Adelaide Street, Brisbane 4000
A small administrative control unit, the Brisbane Medical Unit operated from 'Austral House' from July 1944 to September 1945.
Now known as 'Blake House', this building was built in 1913 for the Queensland Branch of the British Medical Association (forerunner of the Australian Medical Association).
The RAAF formed the Brisbane Medical Unit on 15 July 1944. Squadron Leader C.A. Frew was appointed the unit commander on 16 August 1944. It leased office space in 'Austral House'. It was a small administrative unit that dealt with any medical personnel or supply issues that affected RAAF units around Brisbane.
On 1 November 1944, the Sick Quarters from both the RAAF Station Archerfield and the RAAF Station Amberley became the responsibility of the Brisbane Medical Unit. The Sick Quarters organised the air evacuation of patients and the cared for patients staging through either airfield. In January 1945, the RAAF Malaria Control Training Unit was added to the responsibilities of the Brisbane Medical Unit. The BMU disbanded on 28 September 1945.
RAAF Historical Section, Units of the Royal Australian Air Force—a concise history, Volume 9 Ancillary Units (Canberra: AGPS, 1995)