1 Australian Garrison Battalion (Militia) Camp, Mount Gravatt
3 Australian Advanced Ordnance Depot
- Military camp
- Brisbane City
Mains Road, Macgregor 4109
The 1st Australian Garrison Battalion, a unit of Militia or Home Guard, was alotted the task of security and defence of the the 3 and 4 Australian Advanced Ordnance Depots. The camp was located north of the depot, in the vicinity of Omeo Street, Macgregor. The camp was basic and consisted of a tented area, ablutions blocks and a recreation hut. The task of ensuring the safety and security of the vehicle depots meant that battalion members stayed on site and security detail required a short walk to the depot, slightly south of the camp.
The area of the camp is now a housing estate and not signs of occupation survive.
Established as a motor transport repair and storage facility in 1943, the Mt Gravatt vehicle park was operated by the Australian Army’s 3rd Advanced Ordnance Depot and from 1944 by the 4th Advanced Ordnance Depot. The vehicle park with its repair facilities was located at the intersection of Kessels and Main Roads, near the Bulimba Creek Bridge. Kitchen, toilet and shower facilities were placed on the other side of Mains Road in an unused section of the Mt Gravatt Cemetery Reserve. The Australian Women’s Army Service undertook some of the work. At war’s end, the site stored the army vehicles that were ready for private sale.
National Archives of Australia - Series BP378/1.
Brisbane City Council Aerial Imagery 1946.