116 Australian General Hospital
Mt Carmel College, Charters Towers
- Medical facility
6-8 Hackett Terrace, Charters Towers 4820
116 AGH, was established in January 1942 at the Charters Towers racecourse. Nursing sisters and patients were later relocated to the requisitioned Mount Carmel College, which adjoined Charters Towers airfield.
By 17 March 1942, 116 AGH had moved into Mount Carmel College, in Hackett Street, Charters Towers. It was acquired by the Hirings Section, No. 1 Lines of Communication (No. 1 L of C). Initially only the Christian Brother’s residence was utilised, but eventually the whole school was obtained.
The Headmaster, Brother John Vivian Mahony, the other brothers and 30 boarders lived in cramped surroundings at “The Retreat", a residence opposite St. Mary’s playground. The Army helped them to move beds, lockers, desks, tables and all their necessary items. The 30 boarders and 40 day students somehow managed to hold classes.
In early 1943, the primary boys took up residence at the Park Hotel, with the classroom set up in the bar. Mount Carmel was returned to the school in 1944.
- Pearce, Howard & Queensland Environmental Protection Agency 2009, WWII : NQ : a cultural heritage overview of significant places in the defence of north Queensland during World War II, 1st ed, Queensland Government Environmental Protection Agency, Brisbane
- Tobin, Susan M & Conference of Catholic Education, Queensland 1987, And all this shall be added : financing Catholic schools, Conference of Catholic Education, Queensland, Brisbane
- Dunn, P. Australia @ War