Charters Towers Civic Club WWII Air Raid Shelter
- Civil defence facility
36 Ryan Street, Charters Towers 4820
During the Second World War, Charters Towers became a significant military hub, supporting the transfer of men and materials from the south of the state, to training areas in the north and eventually to the war in New Guinea and the Pacific. As a result, there was a credible threat to the town and as such a concrete air raid shelter was built to the rear of the club, to be utilised by club members in the event of such a raid.
The Charters Towers Civic Club, also known as the Londoners’ Club, is a heritage listed property and significant within the region. The Civic Club, built in 1900 was used as premises for an elite men’s club established in 1877. It reflected the interests and leisure activities of the many influential men involved in mining, commerce and the professions, who were its members and patrons. The establishment of such a club in Charters Towers, at the time the richest of the North Queensland mining fields, demonstrated the importance of this city at the turn of the century.
The Civic Club, as it was known from 1907 onwards, enjoyed an era of prosperity until 1920, when there was only one mine operating in Charters Towers. The decline of the industry invariably lead to a decline in population, so much that by the end of the First World War, the number had halved.
The club continued as a source of recreation in the city following, and remained a male preserve until 1980, when membership base was expanded and women were invited to join.
Queensland Heritage Register Place No.600398