Hamilton RAAF Flying Boat Base
- Brisbane City
Eagle Farm Rd (now Kingsford Smith Dr), Hamilton 4007
The base for flying boats established at Pinkenba by Qantas in July 1938, was moved upstream in April 1940. The Department of Civil Aviation constructed mooring and reception facilities near Hamilton Wharves, and the long stretch of river at Hamilton Reach was continuously used by flying boats throughout the war. The civil facilities were also used by RAAF flying boats until the RAAF constructed its own base to the east of the DCA site.
RAAF Flying Boat Base Hamilton contained a jetty and huts, although additional mooring buoys were also laid at Colmslie and Gibson Island. For a time after mid-1942 convoys were provided escorts by Brisbane-based Catalina’s operating from Hamilton. Crews of the Catalina flying boats were housed in leased premises known as 'Catalina House' in Langside Rd, Hamilton when they flew into Brisbane. The Base was controlled by No 5 Transport and Movements Office. No 41 Squadron RAAF in particular regularly flew into and out of Brisbane.
Although the RAAF flying boats continued to be used after the war to repatriate prisoners-of-war from the Pacific, RAAF Hamilton was surplus to requirements by early 1946 and was de-commissioned.
Jones, David Embry (2007) Wings on the River: Flying Boats on the Brisbane River and Redland Bay. Published by Boolarong Press, ISBN 1921054271, 9781921054273
Units of the Royal Australian Air Force Vol.6