Salisbury North Camp
1st Australian Engineer Base Stores Depot
- Supply facility
- Brisbane City
Evans Road and Standish Street, Salisbury 4107
The 11th Australian Base Workshop AEME and 1st Australian Engineer Base Stores Depot RAE were located on Compo Road, now Evans Road, during the war. This site, commonly known as the Salisbury North Camp, was occupied by the 1 Australian Engineer Base Stores Depot by 1945. Salisbury West Camp, to the south of Evans Road and west of Assembly Street, was also occupied by the 1st Australian Engineers Base Stores Depot by 1945 (some buildings survive). Buildings to the east of Assembly Street, formerly part of the Rocklea Ammunition Factory, were occupied by the 11th Australian Base Workshop by 1945 (some buildings survive).
The location of the depot was in close proximity to the Rocklea Munitions Works and other shipping and aircraft related industry.
National Archives of Australia Item 3279938. 'Salisbury - North camp layout' 1945
NAA Item 3279933 'Salisbury - West camp layout' 1945
'11th Australian Base Workshop AEME Camp at Lillian Ave, Salisbury and workshop at site of former Rocklea Munitions Factory in Brisbane During WWII.' http://www.ozatwar.com/ausarmy/11australianbaseworkshop.htm
Brisbane City Council.