Brisbane Fortress Command HQ
St Laurence’s College
- Brisbane City
82 Stephens Road, South Brisbane 4101
In the defence the city during the war, Fortress Brisbane was an extensive system of fixed defences that included Fort Lytton, Anti-submarine nets, RAN Indicator Loops signals, fixed gun defence, mine watching stations and various headquarters. The Main HQ for Fortress Brisbane was located at St Laurence’s College, South Brisbane.
The school facilities were requisitioned for the war effort, with the staff and students relocated to Nudgee Junior College at Indooroopilly. The HQ had formerly been located in the South Brisbane Municipal Chambers, often referred to as the South Brisbane Town Hall. Colonel G.P.W. Meredith, RAA was the Commander of Brisbane Fixed Defences until July 1943, following which he was replaced by Brigadier E.M. Neyland, RAA.
- Dunn, P. Australia @ War
- Marks, R. “Somerville House - Base Section 3 HQ", Brisbane WW2 v Now No.8.