US No.1 Depot Store and Flinders No. 1 Depot
Lion Brewery, Playpen Nightclub
- Supply facility
719-41 Flinders Street (cnr Knapp Street), Townsville 4810
The building was originally built as the Lion Brewery. In 1941 it was occupied by E G Eager & Son as a civilian automotive spare parts warehouse and garage.
The US 86th Quartermaster Company hired this building in early 1942 for the storage and issue of complete motor vehicles and parts and the repair of armed forces vehicles
The Japanese advance on the coast of New Guinea towards the mainland of Australia dictated the necessity of preparing Townsville as a reserve base for the storage of large amounts of equipment and ammunition.
Initially known as US No 1 Depot Store, it changed names in July 1942 to Flinders Depot No.1.
The North Queensland Line: The Defence of Townsville in 1942. 1998 Thesis by Ray Holyoak held at James Cook University Library North Queensland Collection.
Base Two, The Bayonet of Australia, Volume One, Notes from American War Records of World War Two, Vol 3. [Typescript held in North Queensland Collection, James Cook University].